We started talking about personal narratives and the essay we will have to be writing. All weekend I have been trying to figure out what i have done in my life/what has happened so far that would qualify and pass the "So What" test. The more I thought about it I realized there isn't many choices for this seeing how a lot of things in my life are things i haven't yet wanted to share with anyone.
My first idea is moving to Illinois. Really doesn't sound like a very exciting topic i know. I wasn't very excited when I was told we were moving to Illinois, and having to pack up the house and leave in 2 days. But now i realized it was a good thing it happened. Moving down here made me a lot closer and get to know my family a lot better. Being closer to my family I have learned a lot about myself that I didn't know before. This was a big event on me and my sisters life so this is when we finally grew up and started acting like sisters. There was a few bad things that happened with this to that i guess explain somewhat why i am the way i am about certain issues. There isn't much to say about this topic right now, until/if I start writing it.
My other idea is writing about my great grandpa. He has always had a huge impact on my life. After he died is when I started to be more of who I am now.. good and bad. This was also the time I completely broke away from my family. Losing him wasn't fair and i didn't want my family to see how much i was hurting. This also made me realize that I need to stop taking things for granted and that i needed to stop and realize what I have in life.
The second choice is more personal for me then the moving one, but I'm not sure which one to write about.. Neither one of them are really story stories, nor really sure if they could pass the "So What" test. Not very much to chose from from my life. Very indecisive right now.
Both options could work. The thing to ask is what greater lesson did you learn or what did you gain from these situations? The second example is certainly more personal. If you chose either, you need to consider what parts of each would you focus and write about. You could pick a few different scenes and transition between them and discuss how each are connected and why they are important.
ReplyDeleteI'm leaning more toward the second option overall. It seems more personal and could really be a bit more touching.